Get Started
Frequently Asked Questions

What if I’m in Bridges and I change my mind and want to leave the program, or if I leave the program and then change my mind again and I want to participate in Bridges?  

Bridges is a voluntary program. This means you can leave the program at any time prior to turning 21. To return to Bridges, you must reapply and establish that you meet the current eligibility criteria.   

What if I don’t sign up before I leave foster care?  

You can apply for Bridges at any time between your emancipation from foster care and your 21st birthday. 

What if I leave foster care at 19?  

You can apply for Bridges if you left foster care at 18, 19 or 20. You must meet the eligibility criteria to receive services.  

What housing options are available through Bridges?  

Your Bridges representative can help you find safe, affordable housing that meets your needs. This could include housing with a relative or other positive adult supporter, an apartment, low-income or subsidized housing, college room and board, or other housing in your community, such as a mental health or substance abuse group home.  

How often do I need to meet with my Bridges representative?  

You are required to meet face to face with your Bridges representative at least once a month. However, you may meet more often if you and your representative would like to and if you can. 

What if I don’t qualify for Bridges?   

If you don’t qualify for Bridges but you aged out of foster care, you still may be able to receive post-emancipation services through your county public children services agency. Please refer to our County Post Emancipation Services Page for more information and to find out who to contact.

What if I’m in Bridges and I lose my job?  

If you lose your job, your Bridges representative will work with you to help you find a new one or determine whether you meet other criteria to participate in the program. For example, you might be able to participate in a program that can help you overcome barriers to employment. This would allow you to continue in Bridges. 

What if I want to go to college out of state?  

You may attend college out of state and continue to receive Bridges services. Talk to your Bridges representative for more information.  

What if I aged out of the juvenile justice system?  

Young adults who turn 18 when in the care and placement of Department of Youth Services (DYS) and who are in a IV-E reimbursable placement setting are eligible to apply for Bridges. You may contact the Bridges regional representative for more information.  In addition, please visit the Ohio Department of Youth Services website for information about services you may qualify for.